Remodeling your kitchen on a budget can seem like a daunting task. Most people believe that in order to remodel a kitchen, thousands of dollars must be spent and the kitchen taken out of service for the duration. Here are a few tricks to give your kitchen a complete makeover without destroying your budget.
1. A complete repainting will make your kitchen feel new again, and change that color you’ve been staring at for years. A high quality, washable paint should be selected, as it will withstand the inevitable splashes and spills of the kitchen better than a cheap brand.
2. Changing the flooring will bring a new feeling to your kitchen as well. While new flooring can be a little on the expensive side, changing from linoleum to hard wood will give your kitchen an entirely new feel.
3. Cabinets are the single biggest expense in remodeling a kitchen, and can be done yourself. Remove the cabinet doors and sand the old paint or stain off them. Select a new paint color, in a glossy shade, that complements the color of the cabinet base.
4. Organizers can free up a lot of space in a crowded kitchen for little money. Organizers exist for every nook of the kitchen, including potholders, shelf inserts, cabinet racks and drawer organizers. Creative spending and use of organizers can double or triple your kitchen’s out-of-sight storage capacity.
5. Turning a small side area into a pantry is not expensive. Two sturdy bookcases or tall wardrobe style cabinets with doors placed in an unused area will allow dry goods to be safely stored. This simple trick will free up your regular cabinet real estate for other things.
6. An entire kitchen remodel can be as simple as changing your faucet fixtures. New fixtures come in a range of prices and designs. Many home improvement stores offer free classes on how to change a faucet yourself.
Organization and Decoration:
7. Changing that artwork you’ve been staring at for decades can change the kitchen’s entire atmosphere. New artwork can be found at many home good stores that will fit neatly into your budget.
8. Replacing your curtains is another kitchen remodeling budget trick. Finding new curtains in a style and color completely different from your old ones will create the illusion of new windows.
9. Unexpected decorations can change the feeling of a room easily. Consider using one of your new shelves under a window for a row of fresh herbs growing in matching pots, or adding a small aquarium of brightly colored fish. Adding life to a kitchen provides a constantly changing decoration source.
10. A complete reorganization will free up a lot of space in a kitchen remodel, and needs nothing added to a budget. Select a day to pull everything out of each corner and cabinet in your kitchen and spend the day re-organizing items into new places. Use the newly found space to store the items that normally clutter your counters.